I’ve been dreading it for months, but today I woke up a thirty year old. I almost can’t believe it! It’s true what they say though, time sure does fly when you’re having fun!
It feels like just yesterday that I met Gareth (aged 17), we started dating (aged 18), we got married (24), I started this blog (24), I produced a print magazine (27), we launched The Blogcademy (28) and I designed my first headpiece collection (29) ..! Needless to say I’m pretty damn proud of how much I’ve achieved so far.
Talking of achievements, a lot of you have been asking how I got on with my 30 before 30 list. Well I actually nearly did them all (OK so I didn’t read a book or manage to launch my digital product just yet… it’s coming soon!) But today Gareth and I are going on a spa day AND he just surprised me with a birthday trip to Barcelona TOMORROW so I will have achieved my “go on a random adventure” wish too!!
Now, I certainly couldn’t let this momentous occasion go by without a little gift for you guys as well. So, for 24 hours only, you can get any headpiece from my collection with Crown and Glory at a whopping 30% discount! Simply enter discount code ‘happybirthdaykat’ at the checkout. Valid until 7.59 am GMT tomorrow, (Wednesday 8th April).
You’ll have to forgive me because this is nothing to do with weddings or business. But today I thought I’d draw back the curtains and share some of my secrets with you. I love finding out new things about the bloggers I read regularly, and I thought you might too. So here are 45 things you (probably) don’t know about me!
1. My favourite movie of all time is Back to the Future (closely followed by Back to the Future Part Two!)
2. My celebrity crush is Kiefer Sutherland.
3. I am obsessed with the Vampire Diaries and True Blood but I hate Twilight.
4. My first pet was a goldfish.
5. I once watched a whole season of The Hills in one sitting. I felt dumber afterwards.
6. Someone once genuinely asked me if pink was my natural hair colour…
7. …if you’re interested it’s actually dark brown.
8. I love me some pre-2007 Britney.
9. My cat, Rachel, is named after one of my sisters.
10. Gareth was my first serious boyfriend (aww!)
11. I hate a messy house but I hate housework even more.
12. I have seen every season of 24 at least twice.
13. I hate chocolate! Yes, seriously. Most people don’t believe me but I literally can’t stand the stuff.
14. I used to love cross stitch. I once made my Nanny a little yellow duck picture and she still has it on top of her piano!
15. As a teenager I was obsessed, and I mean super-fangirl obsessed, with Boyzone. I saw them in concert eight times!
16. Ronan Keating? I still would…
17. I’m 5 foot 7 and I have size 7 feet.
18. I drink at least five cups of tea a day. Some days it’s actually closer to ten. Milk, no sugar please.
19. I can’t sing at all but when I’ve had one too many I will totally hog the karaoke.
20. I used to play the saxophone but I hated playing in public. I was forced to join the orchestra at school and so I used to just sit there pretending to play.
In thirty days I will be thirty years old. If I’m honest I haven’t been particularly thrilled about hitting the big 3-0. People have been telling me how much I’ll love it, how your thirties are so much better than your twenties etc etc, but I dunno, the latter part of this last decade has been pretty fucking fabulous.
While many people may have had these for years, with just a month left of my twenties I thought I’d compile a 30 things to do before I’m 30 list. With not much time left these are mostly all pretty small, but that’s OK, small goals can be just as beneficial!
1. Go on a random adventure
2. Re-watch at least one season of 24
3. Unpack my suitcase
4. Vacuum the whole house
5. Cook a proper 3-course dinner
6. Read a full book
7. Purge my saved documents on my computer
8. Delete all those tv recordings that I’m never going to get round to watching
9. Throw out all my unwanted dvds and books
10. Buy that new sideboard we’ve been planning on for (literally) years
11. Clean out my wardrobe
12. Throw away all those unused toiletries
13. Buy something ridiculously overpriced and fabulous
14. Get my accounts in order
15. Print out and display more photographs
16. Learn to walk in heels
17. Go on a spa day
18. Go swimming
19. Make cocktails
This isn’t something I ever thought I’d write about on this blog. In fact I toyed with the idea of whether or not I should actually post this for ages. But instead of trying to think about it too much I just started typing to see where it would go… writing is cathartic for me and I really just felt like I wanted to get this all out of my head. I’d decide whether to publish it or not later.
On Sunday, my friend Jo committed suicide.
Just writing those words feels unreal, like I’m in some kind of dream world or alternate reality. Dealing with death is fucking hard, dealing with death when someone has taken their own life is utterly devastating. There are just so many unanswered questions.
But I’m not writing this because I want any kind of “Oh I hope you’re OK” comments. As much as I appreciate them this is not about me. It’s about a far from being about me as anything I’ve ever written.
Jo suffered from depression. I knew she had low self esteem, and we’d spoken about it many times, but I really genuinely didn’t know how rough it was for her. And that makes me feel terrible. Like I was a totally awful friend for not knowing more, doing more, asking more.
I keep going over all our conversations in my head, wondering if I could have done anything differently or said something more helpful. I feel so guilty.
I wanted to write this today to try, in whatever small way I can, to reach out to any of you that might also be suffering. I want to encourage you to talk to people, and to never give up. Life is precious, life is short, life is worth fighting for.
This is an update of a similar post that I published on January 1st 2013. If you’re newly engaged or a brand new visitor, this is the idiot’s guide to Rock n Roll Bride!
Congratulations you’re engaged! If you’re new around these parts I’d like to say HAPPY NEW YEAR and a big fat hello. I am so excited to meet you. This is going to be one of the most awesome / stressful / exciting / fulfilling / hair-tearing (delete as appropriate) rides of your life and I for one can’t wait for you to get started.
I loved planning my wedding so much that I made it into my career. Gareth & I were married in April 2008. I started this blog to document the journey and I haven’t stopped since. That’s me at the top by the way, doing what I do best, lying around in glitter and confetti!
Right now you’re probably feeling a little overwhelmed and still quite shell-shocked about the whole ‘crap I’ve got to plan an actual wedding’ thing. I’d also imagine that you probably have no idea where to start. Well the very fabulous Veronica Dearly (she makes awesome wedding stationery) created this extra-ordinarily helpful introduction to planning a wedding a few years ago and she’s kindly let me share it with you all…
If I was you I’d pin that bad boy ASAP!
Not content with just doing one collection together, Sophie of Crown and Glory and I decided early on in our collaboration that an Autumn/Winter range would need to be on the cards. Of course I love the rainbow, neon pop insanity of the first collection but I was also really excited to get a little bit deep, dark and moody for this second incarnation.
I am not one of those girls that looks forward to ‘Fall’. My neon loving self absolutely hates when the shops start to get full of chunky knits, winter boots, burgundy, forest green and mustard (yuk!) These colours just aren’t my bag at all. However I am a bit of a closet goth at heart, and this time of year I pretty much revert back to wearing all black (with a dash of glitter so I don’t get too depressed). I am so completely obsessed with this Timeless Plum Maybelline lip stain (see!?)
Black, gold, grey and glitter I can get on board with, so this was the starting point and inspiration for this collection. This is Autumn/Winter fashion for those that hate Autumn/Winter fashion!
Sophie is a true original. Her creativity knows no bounds and her only limit is her imagination! Always game for a laugh she’s never one to turn down a party invitation… as long as she can wear something big and glittery on her head!
Sophie glitter and gold flower crown – £25
Sophie glitter and silver flower crown – £25 (my new fave, it looks SO AMAZING on!)
Elbie is fun, feisty and loves to experiment with fashion and style. Her hair changes colour more often than anyone I know and her make up is anything but conventional. A little bit punk, with a smidge of old school goth, Elbie is a babe that loves to stand out from the in-crowd.
Elbie gold glitter crown – £25