Hurray, you’re engaged! Have you started your pre-wedding weight loss regime yet? YOU HAVEN’T!? Oh my goodness, there isn’t a moment to lose – make sure you read this before it’s too late!
1. Look in the mirror everyday and tell yourself you are beautiful and incredibly blessed to be marrying the love of your life. Even if you don’t believe what you’re saying at first and you feel utterly stupid even thinking about doing it, do it anyway! If you fill you brain (and your mouth!) with positive, lovely words about yourself rather than ugly and nasty ones, you’ll eventually start to believe them.
2. Realise that losing weight will not alter how you feel about yourself long term. Sure, you might get into a smaller size wedding dress, but you’ll still have the same insecurities. Instead of fixating on how you can make yourself thinner, become obsessive about working on your self-esteem and confidence instead. The results will last much longer.
3. There are no quick fixes or miracles cures. As alluring as it might sound, you won’t undo thirty years of bad choices, behaviours and habits in thirty days. So take all those magazine articles promising that shit and throw them in the bin. Or better still, have a sacrificial burning in the back garden.
4. Talk to your fiancé about how you feel. Let them reassure you that they love and want to marry you the way you look NOW (and they will, I promise!)
5. Rapid weight-loss is almost always followed by rapid weight gain. Realise that even if you do lose weight for your wedding you’ll likely end up putting it back on afterwards when you revert back to your normal eating habits. Who wants to look back at their wedding photos and think “Gosh, that doesn’t even look like me”, or “UGH I was so thin then, now I’m just a fat wife”? If you do end up losing weight then putting it back on you’ll only end up feeling bad about yourself again – it’s a vicious circle!